Ode to Indoor Plumbing
My Mom always asks, "Do you feel like a new woman?" after I take a shower. Yes indeedy, Mom, I DO feel like a new woman. Today I gained a new appreciation for hot showers. You see, I haven't showered in days (sick & teething baby=no shower for momma). As I washed my hair, I thought about what an awful pioneer I would've made. I hate having dirty feet and I'm sure those folks back then always had dirty feet. I love the fact that before I go to bed, I can go to the bathroom sink, turn on the water, and VIOLA!!! hot water to wash my feet. And yes, I do this every night. A little obsessive, I know, but we all need our rituals.
I must confess that I was tempted to just stand in the shower. I suppose I could have justified that one since I haven't showered in several days, but instead I figured I'd shave my legs. "What's the occasion?" you ask. No occasion.
That reminds me of the year I decided to be rebellious. Some pierce body parts. Some go get a tattoo (I'm so behind on the times...I had to look up how to spell tattoo). Some go do drugs. Me, I quit shaving my legs. I decided that I was no longer going to be a slave to society's vision of beauty. Plus, I was living in Rexburg for 8 of those months. When it's 100 degrees below zero (so I exaggerate) no one with an ounce of sanity wears shorts.
Even though my leg hair was pretty light, people did take notice. It was a great conversation starter. It's crazy what a big deal some people would make of it. I mean, it's just hair. All sorts of questions were asked, but the most common was this: Do you shave your armpits?
The answer was an emphatic, "YES!" Why? One word...Bacteria. (You can do your own research on that one) I didn't want to be known as "The Stinky Girl." Nobody wants to be her.

4 Comments:
Paige, I do that same exact thing with my feet at night. weird. I thought i was the only one!! It also functions to help them warm up in the winter time b4 I get into bed. And I also have a sick/teething baby at my house now...definitely NOT fun. Happy New Year!! Hopefully, it'll be a year of many HOT showers! :)
Jill
oh thanks for the laugh! Oh and I do think Rexburg WAS 100 degrees below zero!
laugh out loud crazy!
I love it, its hilarious
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home