The Knightons

Friday, April 23, 2010

Just an ordinary day


As I snuggled into bed last night I leaned over to Doug for the usual kiss goodnight and said, "This is your last kiss from a young woman." *

I turned 36 today.

36.

That seems so old. 35 didn't seem so bad. It's right smack-dab in between 30 and 40. But 36 bumps me into another realm. It's not that I feel old, in fact I feel quite spry, but I just don't like to think that I'm just that much closer to 40. It feels like the next stage of life is being forced upon me. Time is kind of like that, I guess.

Maybe it's that whole biological clock thing. Back in grade school when we had to take a several week course on the human body, along with every other health class thereafter, I was always given the impression that once a woman was past 35 she was pretty much an old-hag in the motherhood arena. You know, they even have a term for a pregnant mom (for the first time) over 35: elderly primagravida (or primigravida, if you prefer). ELDERLY! I mean, how incredibly insulting. As a mom, I must admit, I kind of identify being pregnant (or the ability to do so) with my youth. So when someone says or insinuates that having a baby after age 35 makes you an old pregnant lady, I'm going to assume that being over age 35, not pregnant, means I'm just an old lady.

It's just weird to think that I could be @ the half way point of my life. Then again, if I have the longevity of my paternal grandmother, I've got a good ten years or so before I hit that mark. Whew!

I know, I know, there are those of you who are saying, "She's got to be kidding. 36 old? She's just a baby." It's all about perspective. Today I feel old. Tomorrow everything will be back to normal. I'm just in a funk. That's all.






*You may have thought, "What if you die and Doug decides to marry some hot little number half his age." It ain't happening. We've had this discussion. If I were to die and he marries again I've said he has to marry a fat, ugly girl. She has to be really mean and have no sense of humor whatsoever. He always says, "Then why would I want to marry her?" Exactly.

Or, if he decides to go against my wishes, I could just haunt him 'til the end of his life.
That sounds like fun.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kelly said...

I remember thinking the same thing when I turned 36. I didn't like being closer to 40 and farther from 30.

April 24, 2010 at 9:36 PM  
Blogger The Kings said...

oh Paige you are hilarious! Thanks for the laugh.

April 24, 2010 at 10:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home