The Knightons

Thursday, April 1, 2010

The Good. The Bad. The Ugly

(This pic has absolutely nothing to do with this post...I just like it) July 2007

Do you ever have those moments where you think, "Why me?!?!"

Well, I had one of those today.

After going to the library and running a few errands I decided to make one last stop @ the new market about 2 miles from the house. They had a really good deal on canned goods that I just couldn't pass up. So I took a few of the kids into the store with me while the other 3 stayed in the car to read books.

Thrilled with my savings, I loaded everything into the back of the suburban anticipating getting home to feed the kids lunch and get started on some yard work. I hopped into the drivers seat, start ol' Bertha and put her into Drive.

No movement.

I double checked to make sure she was in gear...it appeared that she was.

Still no movement.

As I put her into Park the most awful noise began. I immediately turned off the ignition. I think the woman walking in front of us nearly had a heart attack...I know I did.

So here I am with a rig full of kids and a back end full of groceries. Home is a 2 mile walk, uphill. There's no way I was going to do that. I could've used the exercise, but I know that would've gotten really ugly.

Luckily a family from church live just across the street, so I took Gabe and ran over to call Doug about my predicament. My first thought was that something was wrong with the transmission. That just made me nauseous. I tried to look on the bright side: Summer is coming. I can just ride my bike everywhere!

When I finally got a hold of Doug, after 3 calls, he said he was right in the middle of something and would call back in 5 minutes. He was actually ignoring the first 2 calls. I guess the 3rd time IS a charm. If only I could have used mental telepathy to let him know that this was an emergency (or so I thought) When he called back, he ever so patiently asked about the problem and came to the conclusion that someone had probably bumped the 4 wheel drive shifter thingy.

Yep, that's exactly what it was. (BIG sigh of relief)

Now, why didn't I think of that? I really should get to know the anatomy of my ride a little better, I suppose.



I'll take looking like a complete idiot over a $2000+ repair bill any day!

PS The afternoon was not a complete loss...I did get to work out in the yard :)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay!!! You are back. I have missed what is happening in The Knighton's household. Happy Easter.
Love Lorraine.
xxx

April 2, 2010 at 12:10 AM  
Blogger The Kings said...

oh thank goodness for that!! Car problems make me sick too. Glad it was only something silly and you got home safely :)

April 2, 2010 at 1:29 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home