The Knightons

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Crock-Pot love

I've been trying to use my slow-cooker more these days. I even put it outside so I don't warm up the kitchen. Yesterday I tried a new recipe. It was pretty good.

Chicken Tortilla Soup

4 boneless skinless chicken thighs
2 cans (15 ounces each) diced tomatoes
1 can (4 ounces) chopped mild green chilies
1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 to 1 cup chicken broth
1 tsp cumin
Salt and Black pepper to taste
4 corn tortillas, sliced into 1/4-inch strips (or corn tortilla chips)
2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese (or any cheese you have on hand)
1 avocado diced and tossed with lime juice

1. Place chicken in slow cooker. Mix tomatoes, chilies, onion, garlic, broth and cumin in bowl. Pour mixture over chicken. Cover and cook on High 3-4 hours.
2. Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred. Add seasonings if necessary.
3. Just before serving, add tortillas (I served tortilla chips with soup instead) and cilantro and stir to blend. Top with cheese, avocado, and squeeze of lime juice.

Here's 3 more slow-cooker recipes we have liked:


Chicken Fiesta Soup
Serves 8
4 boneless skinless chicken breast, cooked and shredded
1 can (14 ½ ounces) stewed tomatoes
2 cans (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
1 can (28 ounces) enchilada sauce
1 can (14 ½ ounces) chicken broth
1 cup finely chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 t each of salt, ground cumin, & chili powder
¾ t black pepper
½ cup minced fresh cilantro
1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
1 yellow squash, diced
1 zucchini, diced

Mix everything in crock-pot. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours. Garnish with corn tortilla chips and shredded cheese.


Greek-Style Chicken
Makes 4-6 Servings
6 boneless skinless chicken thighs
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 Tablespoon olive oil
½ cup chicken broth
1 lemon, thinly sliced
¼ cup pitted kalamata (greek) olives
1 clove garlic, minced
½ tsp. dried oregano

Remove and discard visible fat from chicken. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat oil in large skillet over med-high heat until hot. Brown chicken on all sides. Transfer to crock-pot. (Most of the time I skip the browning and just throw everything in the crock-pot. I’m lazy.)
Add broth, lemon, olives, garlic, and oregano. Cover and cook on low 5-6 hours. Serve with rice or orzo. (My crock pot kicks to a "keep warm" mode when the time set is done. I have never used lemon in the recipe. I usually triple the recipe, but don’t triple the liquid. I only put about ½ as much liquid.) I usually triple the recipe and freeze the extras. It freezes wonderfully!

Easy Parmesan Chicken
Makes 4 Servings
8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
1 med onion, cut into thin wedges
1 T olive oil
4 boneless skinless chicken breast
1 jar (26 ounces) pasta sauce
½ t dried basil
¼ t dried oregano
1 bay leaf
½ cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
Hot cooked pasta

1. Place mushrooms and onion in crock-pot.
2. Heat oil in large skillet over med-high heat until hot. Lightly brown chicken on both sides.
3. Place in crock-pot. Pour pasta sauce over chicken; add basil, oregano and bay leaf.
4. Cover; cook on Low 6-7 hours or on High 3-4 hours. Remove and discard bay leaf.
5. Sprinkle chicken with cheeses. Cook uncovered, on Low 15-30 minutes until cheese is melted. Serve over hot pasta.
(I tenderize the chicken breast by pounding them a bit with a wood pestle.)

6 Comments:

Blogger The Kings said...

Paige - you must have been reading my cousin Anna's blog, or it is just a great co-incidence, because this is just what she was wanting. I think its about time I invested in a slow cooker, and its great to have some good recipes!

July 24, 2008 at 8:52 PM  
Blogger Paige said...

I posted, then Anna's title caught my eye. I left a comment on her blog to check out my recipes.

July 24, 2008 at 9:45 PM  
Blogger Cullis Family said...

Hi Paige thanks for your comment. I will be using your recipes.

July 24, 2008 at 9:59 PM  
Blogger Simone Triffitt said...

I have been wondering how your pregnancy is going! I wonder who will go first. Do you normally go before your due date? Those crock pot recipes look yummy especially for our yucky winter at the moment.

July 25, 2008 at 8:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I made the Chicken Tortilla Soup for dinner tonight. It was a big hit. Everyone (mom was here) had seconds. Jack said next time we need sour cream to go on top.

Melanie

August 6, 2008 at 10:07 PM  
Blogger Paige said...

Everything is better with sour cream!

August 7, 2008 at 9:14 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home