The Knightons

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Independence Weekend

On Saturday morning, determined to watch the 4th of July parade, I encouraged the kids to put on their red, white and blue duds and loaded everyone up to head over the river to Pasco.
'
I loved hearing the silence of the crowd as the color guard passed by.
On Sunday we sang patriotic songs in church. We should do that more often.
'
The kids really wanted to go watch the fireworks that night. Since it was the sabbath we really wanted to avoid the party atmosphere down by the river. We made a compromise and thought we'd go up on the hill and watch from afar while listening to patriotic music on the radio. We waited for dusk, packed up a few goodies for the kids and headed up to the foothills.
'
We weren't the only ones with this clever idea.
'
As the fireworks began I searched for music on the radio.
'
Finally, I found a station playing America, the Beautiful.
'
Then came Born in the USA. Not really what I consider patriotic. It gets better.
'
I tried to find a different station. No such luck. It didn't matter anyway because the fellow that parked 100 or so yards away from us decided that he would provide music for the entire neighborhood. His stereo was blasting...complete with his doors all opened, including the hatch back.
'
Following Bruce's ballad we heard American Woman.
'
I've always thought that it takes more than merely mentioning American or USA to make a song patriotic. I guess Mr. DJ didn't agree.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home